Artificial Grass – Benefits, Advantages And Disadvantages
If you own a big and beautiful house which is surrounded by an attractive garden, you definitely will want your lawn cover to look as clean, attractive and long lasting as ever. That is where the artificial grass comes into the picture. It is mainly a substitute for fresh grass and is used in cover of landscaping for lawns and gardens. This artificial grass is also known as turf, used for the arenas ,which gives a smooth and fine landscape used to play sports, mainly used in schools, sport fields and parks, as an alternative for real grass.
Use of artificial grass helps save money, time and water:
Artificial grass eliminates the harmful use of pesticides, fertilizers, fungicides and herbicides. It saves many litres of water as this does not require watering on a daily basis. It also saves a lot of money and time since much manual work isn’t considered for maintaining of artificial grass.
How can Artificial Grass be cleaned and well maintained?
- The organic material has to be removed from the surface by using a leaf blower.
- There might have to be the usage of some sand infill once in a year, in high usage areas.
- A natural, stiff bristle broom can be used to clean high traffic areas.
Applications of Artificial Grass
Mainly used in sports like baseball, field hockey, soccer, rugby, tennis and golf.
- Landscaping: this artificial grass is used beyond athletic fields to residential and commercial landscaping.
- Airports: artificial grass is been used at airports too. The runway lighting is embedded in artificial landing surfaces for aircrafts.
Environmental Threats: fragments from the artificial reeds seep into the environment, this causes marine pollution as well as soil pollution. The rubber granulate from artificial grass contributes to rubber pollution. The synthetic fibres from this turf are subjected to wear and tear and can be washed away in the environment, which again leads to environmental pollution and can cause environment degradation.
Advantages of Artificial Grass
- Low maintenance, affordable prices and extremely durable.
- Grassy, soft and beautiful _ the best substitute for natural fake grass.
- Can easily withstand climatic conditions, heavy rains or bright sunshine.
- Used around the pool area, it can be cleaned very efficiently and does not get ruined like real grass.
Disadvantages of Artificial Grass:
- The artificial grass absorbs heat and thus this high temperature can cause dehydration and heat exhaustion.
- The surface gets so hot that walking or playing on it may cause severe burning of the skin.
- Artificial grass consists of some hazardous chemicals which can cause various health related issues that could affect the lungs or the kidneys if there is some sort of accidental intake of these harmful chemicals.
- The cost to install artificial grass is expensive sometimes.
- Artificial grass doesn’t have the cooling effect like the real grass, thus the temperature is a setback here.
Many people use artificial grass as a substitute for natural grass in order to keep themselves and their pets happy too. Here are a few benefits to the pets of using artificial grass.
- Adjustment: pets adjust very easily to this type of grass, since they love comfort and artificial grass is similar to the real grass.
- Easy to maintain and clean: shorter grass is easier to clean maintain plus it gives a decent and well cut look to your area. Pets too love being in such a comfort zone.
- Helps coping with your pets habits: if your pet loves dirting your lawn, this artificial grass can be easily washed and can look as clean and new as ever.
The Artificial grass is available in various sizes and shades of colours. The prices are quite affordable to a common man. It will look pleasing in all weathers; this is because the weather won’t have a direct effect on the look of the turf. The artificial grass is more preferred since it does not grow like the other natural grass and does not constantly require the attention of the owner.